Make your own frosted, icy branches.

Last week I shared this project over at A Glimpse Inside.  It’s a quick and easy way to turn ordinary sticks and branches into frosted, icy ones for the holidays.
I love the pretty, frosty branches, floral picks and other accessories that are available this time of year.
source
However, they can be pretty darn pricey and I see no reason to pay for something that I can easily make myself for just pennies.
Here’s what you’ll need:
  • sticks and branches
  • white spray paint (cheap-o is fine-o)
  • spray adhesive
  • epsom salt
  • coarse white glitter
  • fine iridescent glitter

When getting the salt be sure to use epsom, which looks like icy little crystals, as opposed to rock salt, which looks like, well… rocks.

Spray your branches with white paint.
When dry, spray a coat of adhesive onto the branches, then move them over an old cookie sheet and sprinkle the epsom salts onto them.

I do this over the cookie sheet so I can reuse the salt that doesn’t stick.

Scoop up any extra salt and put it back into the container.
Move the branches away from the cookie sheet and spray with adhesive again.  Move them back over the sheet and sprinkle with the coarse glitter.  Repeat the process with the fine glitter.

When dry you have some pretty, sparkly, frosty sticks.  Oh yeah, that were practically FREE!

There are so many uses for them.  They look great alone in a vase,  or with smaller ones tucked into your Christmas tree or used in a wreath…  The only caveat: salt melts if it gets wet…  Not a good option for use outdoors.

Have fun!

Che

Comments

So I spray painted a bunch of branches white and then I quit. Because, I figured, ” That’s as far as I can go, right? “
    Thanks for showing me what to do next! These will look fantastic in a centerpiece!

I found out that Epsom salt turns to powder in heat. The Valentine’s day candles I made last year didn’t survive the heat of my attic.

I will so be doing this project, there’s nothing like adding a little glitz and glam to Christmas!

Wow, super pretty!! And so much prettier in person I’m sure!! I love the idea of layering different glittery things!! Can’t wait to see what you do with them!! :)

WOW that’s fabulous – and the big old oak trees on our hill are ALWAYS dropping branches – now I can stop throwing them over the fence into the woods!

Simple and pretty. Epsom salts are cheaper than glitter and, hey, you can’t soak sore feet in a bowl of hot water and glitter. (well, you can…but..) Thank you for sharing.

Hey Viv! I gave them a shot (just posted) but my epsom salts were really old so more granular than salt-like. Not to mention I sprayed my branches silver first. But I still love them.

I think I’ll grab some new epsom salts tomorrow and follow your instructions better 😛

I wanted branches like these for my tree but didn’t want to dish out the cash. I ended up spray painting with white and glitter paint but they were missing something. I am going to take them down and add Epsom salt. Exactly that extra bling I was looking for!!! Thanks!!!

Awesome project! Thanks for posting. Well, let’s see, I have cheap-o white spray paint so I’m almost there-right?! 😉 I’ve never used spray adhesive. What a great product idea.

I came here via Keren’s Free Pretty Things for You.

Merry Christmas! ♥

Very pretty.
    I have done this myself a few years ago,used styrofoam block, covered it, stuck in my branches,added some artifical red berry branches and stuck a cardinal or 2 on the branches and made a pretty center piece for my dining room table.
    The styrofoam block I put on kinda flat platter, added some battery operated little twinkle lights and covered with some of that fake snow; kinda like that buffalo snow you can buy in package and made very pretty center peice on table.
    ColleenB.

this is such a cool idea, thank you for the easy how-to!!!
    I host a weekly linky party, Inspire Me Fridays…would love you to share this or ANY of your awesome ideas!!!
    Blessings!

11. Ana says

What a great idea for using epsom salts! I have done the same thing with sticks, acrylic craft paint, mod podge and diamond dust that I bought at Michaels. It is just what I had at home. Never thought about using glitter! So Pretty!!!!

Hi Everyone!
    LOVE THIS IDEA!! Thank you so much!
    Also, Do any of you know a safe and hypoallergenic way to frost your Christmas Tree DIY? I don’t want all those chemicals in my house…. It’s hard enough 90% of Christmas trees are sprayed with Pesticides before they enter your house and cause LOADS of allergies during the season. Any help ladies?!!
    Thanks :)

13. etta says

Turned out great… I even used some branches we had with a few leaves… soo pretty… making for a winter wonderland party!