If Edgar Allan Poe had been given some contact paper & a Cricut… (DIY Halloween Artwork)

…he probably wouldn’t have done anything with it.
But here’s what I did:  I made Halloween artwork based on Edgar Allan Poe’s poem “The Raven”
Edgar Allan Poe Raven artwork tutorial
I used a 1/4 inch plywood board, primed it, then painted it with Kylon’s Metallic paint in Nickel.
  • I used my Cricut and contact paper to cut out the first few lines of the poem.  I used the Celebrate font on the Calligraphy cartridge.
  • Once all of the letters were adhered to the board, I sprayed a white gloss paint over the top of everything.
  • When dry, I created a stencil that said “Nevermore” (this was the came cartridge, but using the Inspiration font.)  I did not remove the lettering for the poem, but adhered the “Nevermore” stencil directly over the top of them.
  • Next, I free-hand sketched a reasonable facsimile (I’m no artist, don’t you judge me…) of a raven on contact paper and cut that out to create a stencil.  I placed that over the top of the poem’s lettering as well.
  • I taped off the rest of the board and sprayed the stencils with black paint.

Whatever you want to show up as the “top layer” of your painting needs to go onto the board first.  The stencils will appear as being under the poem.

• When dry, I peeled off the lettering and stencils and lightly sanded the whole thing.
  • A light wash of silver acrylic paint and water finished it up.
Now I think my Halloween mantel is all done.
I like eerie Halloween, not gory Halloween.  This works for me.  (Although Poe might find it a bit too cheerful…)
Check the bottom of the blog to see where I link this project.
also linking to: Home Stories A2Z    The Idea Room
This post Sponsored by
Weekend Bloggy Reading

Comments

A great project and not just for Halloween.
    If you could see the size of the crows/ravens at our cabin you would be even more scared. Yikes. They are monsters.

I love what you did but how you did it went right over my head. I’m sure you’re shocked. I still don’t get how you put the bird OVER the words but I can still see the words? Don’t bother explaining. I’ll re-read this again for the 5th time to try and understand a creative genius’ mind.

This is a fantastic project that I am totally stealin.
    Last week my daughter asked me what food I’d pick if I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life. I said, ” My cricut. “
    She said, ” But, that’s doesn’t make sense….?”
    ” I stand by my answer!!” ( I really love my cricut )

Ok I second Shawn, I really REALLY love this! Never would I find the time to cut all those letters out with my cricut, but WOW! (And how did you figure out the order to do it all in?) Really, really great :)

I love this piece, I’m not big on Halloween decorating but this one has caught my eye. I need to come sit next to you regarding using my Cricut, I’m so uninformed on its “powers”. Thanks for sharing.

I lOVE this!
    I am from Baltimore… home of the RAVENS (thanks to Poe) and I got married in the church where he was buried (in our city)… pretty cool, huh?!

Okay, this one rocks my world!! 😉

That is one of my favorite poems and I think this is so clever and amazing!! It could be kept out all year!! And it should!! :)

8. Anonymous says

LOVE me some Poe!!

I admit it…I covet the Cricut. As in…have considered robbing a bank (or a JoAnn Fabrics) to get one, plus all the fun cartridges. I don’t NEED one, really…but how I LONG for one. For a lottery win – a few mill – which would allow me to hit a craft store and just point and say “put it in my cart, please!!!” Aaah, fantasy. :)

Trackbacks