- I used my Cricut and contact paper to cut out the first few lines of the poem. I used the Celebrate font on the Calligraphy cartridge.
- Once all of the letters were adhered to the board, I sprayed a white gloss paint over the top of everything.
- When dry, I created a stencil that said “Nevermore” (this was the came cartridge, but using the Inspiration font.) I did not remove the lettering for the poem, but adhered the “Nevermore” stencil directly over the top of them.
- Next, I free-hand sketched a reasonable facsimile (I’m no artist, don’t you judge me…) of a raven on contact paper and cut that out to create a stencil. I placed that over the top of the poem’s lettering as well.
- I taped off the rest of the board and sprayed the stencils with black paint.
Whatever you want to show up as the “top layer” of your painting needs to go onto the board first. The stencils will appear as being under the poem.
- When dry, I peeled off the lettering and stencils and lightly sanded the whole thing.
- A light wash of silver acrylic paint and water finished it up.