Red Faux (“Daux”) Coral

Red coral is all over the place these days.
  View Image  Faux Red Coral Branch
                    image credit                                                    image credit                                                     image credit

Last week I made some faux coral using a basic dough of salt and flour.  While I was doing that, I also made up a few pieces to make it look like red coral.

I don’t want to pay too much, well, for anything (ever) but I figured I would give it a go to make some.

clay, coral, doush, DIY, faux

I rolled little “snakes” of dough and just kind of “free-formed” a wiggly little tree.  I let it dry until it was hardened.

Once completely dry, I took it out and painted them with Rustoleum’s  American Accents spray paint in Colonial Red.

painted, red, coral, faux

I first thought I was going to have to put an orange-ish glaze over this once it was dry, but the paint soaked into the yellow/brown clay and the color is working for me.

I brought them inside and popped them into an apothecary jar with some shells, burlap, and a piece of “driftwood” (aka a long piece of garden mulch)

faux red coral, apothecary jar
seas shells, coral, apothecary jar, decor

I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.  Works for me!

red coral, sea shells, apothecary jar, decor

Today (6/20/11) I am guest posting at The Blooming Hydrangea.  Please stop by and say hello!

Check out the bottom of the blog for buttons to some great link parties, and I also link up here:

Beneath My Heart best of July

Comments

this is so incredible! they look beautiful and seriously, straight out of a pottery barn catalog. i would never believe somebody hand-made this coral if i didn’t see pictures of the process. you’re pretty awesome. : )

Oh for God’s sake. You know this is freaking amazing. I hate that you think of everything first. Just slow down for a few days and give the rest of use a chance to be the first to think of the bestest stuff, k?

You’ve outdone yourself yet again with this tutorial, M’dear… and THAT’S saying something!! Seriously, stop making all us other bloggers look bad with your genius, m’kay? (Totally kidding – PLEASE KEEP WRITING THESE AMAZING TUTORIALS!!! They are my drug of choice.) ^_^ lol, It’s late, I’m tired, and you rock.

This is GENIUS! It looks like the real deal…super great job on this! :)
    Found you via the Shabby Chic Cottage Link Party!!

You got my attention !! I spent my day (suppose to be working at home) with my flour and salt, now waiting for it to dry here in the hot horrid humid south! Thanks for sharing and love your sense of humor :) E in TN

Oh my gosh, I cannot tell you how much I LOVE this project! My hall bath is beachy and I wanted to incorporate some coral but it is so expensive! While I have worked with salt dough, I had NEVER thought of this! Very creative! I am featuring you at Noon!

This is fabulous! I love how you used it in the apothecary jar with the shells! The color looks amazing! :) Thanks so much for linking up to the Summer Lovin Soiree! Have a great weekend! :)
    Crystal
    HomemakerinHeels.com

Totally love this! The red coral pops as the focal point of collections and yours capture the color so well. You are richly blessed with talent!

Best regards,