Last week I made some faux coral using a basic dough of salt and flour. While I was doing that, I also made up a few pieces to make it look like red coral.
I don’t want to pay too much, well, for anything (ever) but I figured I would give it a go to make some.
I rolled little “snakes” of dough and just kind of “free-formed” a wiggly little tree. I let it dry until it was hardened.
Once completely dry, I took it out and painted them with Rustoleum’s American Accents spray paint in Colonial Red.
I first thought I was going to have to put an orange-ish glaze over this once it was dry, but the paint soaked into the yellow/brown clay and the color is working for me.
I brought them inside and popped them into an apothecary jar with some shells, burlap, and a piece of “driftwood” (aka a long piece of garden mulch)
I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. Works for me!
Today (6/20/11) I am guest posting at The Blooming Hydrangea. Please stop by and say hello!