Apples Malloy: the dessert that will turn you into a piggy. (Or maybe that’s just me.)

A few months back I was at a pot luck beach party.  There was a vast array of food to choose from.  One that I had never seen before had sliced Granny Smith apples and some sort of cream cheese and chocolate chip concoction to dip the apples in.

I took a tentative bite.  I was sold.  For the next 20 minutes or so, I strapped on a feedbag and hoovered up probably half the platter.  (I had had a glass of wine or two and I may or may not have had the munchies.  Don’t you judge me.)  The sweet gal who made it came over to replenish the sliced apples and she was kind enough to tell me what went into making this deliciousness…. this caramel apple dip and cream cheese dessert… yum!

Apples Malloy Dessert Dip

She told me it did not have a name, so I have taken the liberty of naming it after her: Apples Malloy.
Here’s what you need to get started:
apples, dessert, cream cheese, ingredients, heath bar, chocolate
You will need several Granny Smith apples, sliced; 2 packages of cream cheese; mini chocolate chips; caramel sundae sauce (or real caramel sauce if you’re ambitious) and Heath Bar toffee pieces.

I start out with one of my turkey platters and add the 2 packages of cream cheese, then spread in a thin layer.
cream cheese, platter     cream cheese, white, platter

Drizzle caramel sauce then sprinkle with the mini chocolate chips.
caramel, cream cheese     caramel, chocolate, cream cheese, dessert

Chop up the Heath Bar and sprinkle them on top of everything else.  Add the sliced apples around the edge.  Make sure it’s pretty.  Presentation is everything!
candy bar, chopped, knife     apples, dessert, cream cheese, ingredients, heath bar, chocolate

I wouldn’t add the apples until you are ready to serve it, and if you plan to have it sitting out for a while, it is a good idea to toss the apples in a little lemon juice and water first, which helps to keep them from getting brown.
(Note do NOT put wet apples onto the platter. Dry them off a bit first.)

apples, dessert, cream cheese,  heath bar, chocolate

Enjoy!  Oh My Yum.

Comments

Just remember an apple a day keeps the doctor away – so several apples (and dip) must do wonders 😉 looks so good!!!

YUM!

I would have been a little piggy with that too.

And don’t worry it has happened to me with a dip or two ate a party.
    Especially that cream cheese and red pepper jelly one. To die for!

That sounds A-mazing! We had an apple salad for our end of the year celebration at school a couple weeks ago that is similar. Here’s the recipe in case you want to try. =)

Snickers Apple Salad

4 to 6 Granny Smith apples, chuncked with peel on

3 King size Snickers bars

1 small box of instant vanilla pudding

1 c. milk

8 oz. Cool Whip

Chunk apples with peel on. Chop Snickers bars into small pieces. Place both in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine pudding and milk. Mix well with a wisk. Add Cool Whip to pudding mixture and stir. Add pudding mixture to apples and Snickers. Refrigerate.

Well darn…another snack I must try!! Sheesh! Looks very good though…maybe I can try a little bit of it! No? Well then, like you, 1/2 the platter then!!!
    Ha!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

I’m having the softball team over Friday to celebrate the start of summer. This will be the perfect thing to pull out when all of the kids are in the pool not paying attention!

Good Gracious Vivienne you’re trying to kill me this morning. 😉 It looks amazing!!!
    PS – in an unlrelated note I am embarassed to say I was not following you before but I thought I was. So I am now. 😀

Holy smokes that looks good! I LOVE cream cheese. I have never eaten apples with it before but I will give it a try! Thanks for sharing!

What’s the matter with you? Didn’t you get the memo the I was starting South Beach again today? I guess it’ll have to be tomorrow but if I’m still fat this time next year I’m blaming you.

Ummmm…this is going on the top of my “to make” list. I’m attempting to watch what I eat, but no one can pass this up, in my opinion. Found you on Rook No. 17s Link Up. Now your newest follower! Thanks so much for sharing this yummy deliciousness. :-)

Oh wow…I’d be pigging out! I made something similar last summer for work and it was gobbled up so fast! This stuff is so good!

This looks so amazing! Love that you named it after the lady who made (that made me LOL!).

I wold probably have strapped on the ol feedbag too!!

I have to say that this week was one of the very best for my linky party, and having friends like you with delicious recipes and top quality posts is the reason why. Thank you so much Viv!!

Jenn

My family makes a very similar dessert, which always is the most popular thing at any party we have taken it to… without fail the winnner. every time. Go make it!

Step one: mix “spreadable” creamcheese (the kind that comes in tubs not bricks) with brown sugar, keep adding sugar till the spread is a light mocha colour and tastes fantastic.
    Step 2: spread on a platter and cover with a lot of crushed skor bars (those heath bars look similar, but we don’t have them in canada)
    Step 3. Slice tart granny smith apples and step back before your guests run you over.

Hi Vivienne, Thank you so much for joining Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage. I featured your post this week in my Top Ten Fav Picks from Masterpiece Monday. Have a great weekend! Mary :O)

Oh My I hope you don’t mind if I copy this recipe. We have a reunion picnic on the 4th. Each family brings a dessert and well every year I try to think of something new only to arrive and find someone else made the same thing.

I know THIS will not be a duplicate.

LOL your sense of humor….I would be the LAST to judge, I’m just saying!

Trackbacks