Yes, you can spray paint tissue paper.

As I mentioned yesterday, the economy is messing with my Mother’s Day Brunch… which is a big deal around here.  I change up the theme and color scheme from year to year, and this time, I am going with turquoise and apple green, with pops of tangerine.

I knew I wanted to make tissue paper pom-poms because my flower budget was tiny to begin with.   One needs quite a bit of tissue paper to do this.  Colored tissue paper was coming in at $2 for 10 sheets.  (It takes at least 10 sheets to make a pom-pom.) Unacceptable!

I’ve always said that you can spray paint anything if it will hold still long enough… This is also true of tissue paper.  I had plenty of plain white tissue paper that I stocked up on during Christmas clearance sales.

I made the pom-poms and then sprayed several light coats of paint.   You don’t even have to hang them to do this.  Set them down, spray.  Turn them over and spray again.  Just make sure to do it in short, light bursts of paint.

Not only do they accept the paint beautifully, it actually makes them a little bit stiff, so they keep their shape better.   Hang them up, fluff any part that got smushed, enjoy.

I’ll be back on Monday with a full Brunch Wrap Up.  Happy Mother’s Day!

I’m sharing this at the linky parties listed on the bottom of the blog.
Also linked with
Thrifty Decor Chick

Tidy Mom
Inspiration For Celebration
Weekend Bloggy Reading

Pin It

Comments

That is one of those “you have to see to believe things”. Beautiful. I am so impressed with your Mother’s Day brunches and all the other thing you are doing. SO creative. You need a show on HGTV.

I also have to say that it is so refreshing to read your remarks about your handsome hubby and kids. Seems like we spend too much time talking about the “less than perfect” stuff and not enough time being grateful. (Me included.)

Thanks for sharing.

Wow! They look great. I wouldn’t have known that you could paint it. Now I do! :)

Have a Happy Mother’s Day!
    Pam

I’m laughing because THIS picture…the one FEATURING pom poms…really shows the color of that chair. LOL
    I love pom poms…I had no clue it took that many sheets to do one though. And WHO would have though of spraypainting tissue paper???
    Only you, my friend. Looks fabulous too. I think I like it better than if it was colored tissue to begin with.

I’ve been wanting to freshen up my office and those are the colors I want to use! They are such happy and bright colors!

Have a wonderful Mothers Day!

I LOVE the color scheme you chose! I totally need to think of something to steal it for!

Loved the flowers, and so cool how the spray-paint turned out!

I can’t wait to hear about the brunch!

Okay, now are ya gonna give away your secret on how to make the cute poms? I saw some for like $15 each at Party city and almost bought one just to see how to make it so I could do them for my daughter’s birthday party.. so cute!! Love the colors!!

You are the Queen of Spray Paint. They should put your face on some advertisements. STAT.

LOVE the tissue poms. They are one of my absolute FAV things to decorate with. They just scream “PARTY”.

Genius! I made some tissue poms for a baby shower last month and spent some extra to get the colors I wanted. Having a couples shower this weekend and wanted to make some red and white ones. I will go to the dollar store and get white and paint it red! Thanks!
    Jen

Wow! I had no clue in the world you could spray paint on tissue paper. That is good to know. The flowers look very springy and fun!

Stopping by from Eisy Morgan Inspire hop.

THANK-YOU! I am in the midst of planning my oldest son’s graduation from high school and cannot find black tissue paper anywhere!(School colors= black & orange) I have spray painted the mason jars, frames for the photo booth, branches for the ‘stick chandelier’ going in the center of the outdoor canopy, and several other things, but my heart has been set on the large poms as well. I contemplated spray painting them,(slight spray paint obsession)but was worried I’d end up making a big ol’ mess with very little time left for error. Once again, you have come through with a touch of genius. Amazing blog, amazing ideas, and some very entertaining reading. Love it.

Love it!!!

I would love for you to come link up your post at my “Encouragement is Contagious!” linky party! And… please link up some of your other favorites from blogs you love! Then, those bloggers will also get lots of unexpected, encouraging comments!

Blessings!
    Melanie

Vivienne you are beyond creative and talented girlfriend! Seriously. I would have thought tissue paper would just kinda melt when spray painted. Way to take a chance and have it pay off! I will definitely keep these in mind for future parties! Thank you for sharing the idea with us at Inspiration Friday!

Heather

Hi V…

Ohhh my…your paper pom-pom’s turned out sooo pretty, my friend! I love the colors…bet your Mother’s Day brunch was incredible! Girl, I would have never thought to spray tissue paper pom-poms…how clever and resourceful! I’ll be keeping this idea for future use! Thanks for sharing it with us!

How are you doing, my friend? I hope that my note is finding you and your sweet family all doing well!

Warmest wishes,
    Chari

I have actually been wondering this. Cuz I have a ton of white that I got from the dollar store but wanted some color. Thank you so much for sharing. I found you through under the table and dreaming linky party. I also pined this in my pinterest files. Come and say hi I love visitors
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

Awesome, crafty, original technique! I love tissue pom-poms, but they do tend to flop a bit and they’re so fragile. I love the fact that the spray paint does double duty as accent and preserver. Brilliant Viv!

Okay, so who has the best selection of spray paint? I LOVE SPRAY PAINT! But I’m about to start working on my daughter’s Madhatter room and I need a hot pink, turq, and lime green. Maybe purple. 😉

Love this idea!

What an ingenious idea! I would have never thought of using spray paint on pom-poms…I should have though, because I seem to be spray painting everything minus my kid. hahaha.

I am featuring you tomorrow so stop by and say hi!

xoxo
    Halz

Your pom poms caught my eye on the link party at Remodelaholic because I am starting to make some for a baby shower I am giving my daughter. So true about the costs of tissue paper, but the white you can get cheap. Great idea! I am also experimenting with napkins, they work really well for smaller to medium sized pom poms.

Oh…let me tell you that you just MADE MY WEDDING!!! I’ve been wanting these as isle decoration (my venue doesn’t allow fake flower petals and the real thing in excess is too expensive)…my problem is that our green is nowhere to be found (all the greens out there are too bright (citrus) or too dark (evergreen)) so this is WONDERFUL!!!! Now, I’ve got to go find some spraypaint to match! Thank you so much!!!

What a fantastic idea!! I love crafts, but never thought about doing this before!
    Love your blog and am now a follower.
    Stumbled for Stumble Thursday.

Angela from MoveOverBetty.com