The Blue Twig Chandelier. (who knew?)

This is the project I did for last week’s One Month To Win It challenge. It gave me so many problems that I almost included a “rest in peace” wreath when I sent it off to the judges.

Shockingly, this project won for the week. (In spite of my son telling me it looked like a blue alien that might try to grab him…)

May I just start off by saying that I normally don’t have a tablecloth hanging from my patio cover, but I could not get my “Outdoor Craft” to show up in photos without creating a blank background of some kind.

painted twig chandelier,stick chandelier, blue twig

That being said, I made a Blue Twig Chandelier. As the weather gets warmer, it’s nice to be able to hang out on the patio, host brunches, etc. I like to pair the whimsical with the traditional when it comes to setting a table, so here we are.Gathering up sticks and branches, I spray painted them with Rustoleum’s Lagoon blue. When dry, I used 28 gauge wire and hot glue to make a base with the larger branches, then began to layer on the sticks. Once I had a shape that I liked, (and got the darn thing level) I wired on votive cups and used Hubby’s fishing line to hang little beads.
(Note to self: return his reel to the tackle box…)

painted, twig chandelier,stick chandelier, blue twig
painted twig chandelier,stick chandelier, blue twig

I knew I wanted to do a chandelier for my challenge. I started several different chandys but couldn’t get it right. Once I got “blue sticks” in my head I couldn’t get them out. While this isn’t photographing very well, it does look pretty cool. (Also, because it took me so long to complete this, I wasn’t able to get a photo of it with the candles lit. Sorry.)

And seriously: you do believe me when I say there usually isn’t a tablecloth hanging there, right? Right…?

Please head over to One Month To Win It to vote on the final challenge: Repurposing an article of clothing or an accessory.

Linking up with parties listed on the bottom of this blog. Click any of their buttons to link up or visit.
Tidy Mom
Thrifty Decor Chick
I Heart Naptime

The Lettered Cottage

Weekend Bloggy Reading
Photobucket

Comments

The fact that you came up with such a unique idea says a lot and I think it turned out great!! I always start to make something and think it looks like death and wish I never even photographed it– but there’s someone out there who will love it.. and this goes to show… you have more talent than you thought!! Looks like something out of a wedding magazine to me… off to go vote!! :) good luck!

This is one of the coolest projects we’ve ever seen. Amazing job! Thank you so much for using Rust-Oleum to create such a creative chandelier :)

We love it so much, we just featured it on our Paint Ideas Facebook page as the project of the day.

facebook.com/paintideas

– Rust-Oleum Scott

That looks great! I’m thinking of making one for my patio…but I’m afraid the squirrels will think it’s a swing for them to play on.

I thought that white sheet was a movie screen.

Wow! That LOOKS like it would do someone in! My hubby just rolls his eyes when I describe all of the ‘ideas’ rolling around in my head because he (like me) is wondering HOW they’ll really turn out! THIS is amazing and no matter how trying it was to create – it is stunning!

This is really such a cool idea!! I LOVE the blue! I sure hope it doesn’t turn into an alien and grab any of you lol! I think its to pretty to turn into an alien! Thank you for linking up to my first link party! =)

I knew it was yours.. and I voted for it .. I feel special :)

and it has inspired me to think about my own for my outdoor dining area that I am suppose to be doing ( keeping losing my mojo for this project) .. I have atad concern about fire saftey so might use the little faux ( so much nicer than fake) tea lights or candles… still pondering.. Thanks for the inspiration!

Maddie- already voted this week too :)

I have to comment a second time because I see a STICK theme going on! – I collect sticks and I have only found one other person who collects them like I do… I’m going to have to follow your blog for all your great uses for sticks! 😉 ~Lori

I think this is so cool! My neighbor has a tree that hangs perfectly above her outdoor dining table and she hangs votives from it. I thought I’d have to plant a tree to copy the look, but I guess I can just gather some branches and create a chandelier! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Vivienne you are so hilarious! I love that you wanted to put a “rest in peace” sign on it but I think it turned out just fabulous! I seriously cracked up about your son saying it looked like an alien though. :-) Thanks so much for linking up another fantastic project to our Inspiration Friday party! We always love having you join in the fun!
    Vanessa

i love how this turned out…the shade of blue is a perfect pop of color against the white decor you have…i was just out walking last night and saw some blown branches and now i can go gather them to make my own chandy…thanks for sharing at fridays unfolded!

alison
    stuff and nonsense

I see why you won! Its FAB-U-LOUS!!! I’m so glad you linked it to the Tuesday To Do party! Can’t wait to see what lovely you post next!
    smiles!
    Jami

That’s pretty darn amazing! I love the idea of using twigs like that, but the color is GORGEOUS!! I think it would have been really pretty left natural, or painted white, but that blue color REALLY takes it up a few notches, and takes it from pretty to WOW!!

OMG! This looks frickin’ A-MAZING!!! I usually change up our chandy for Christmas, but I have been wanting to change it for summer to something beachy… This may be just the inspiration I needed! Thanks for sharing!! I LOVE IT!

YOU ROCK GIRL!