Subway Art is all the rage in blogland. So are Family Rules projects. I liked both concepts, but needed to tweak things so that they fit my style.
I love the subway art that Lil Blue Boo did. You can read her tutorial on how she did this piece here. I went over and got great advice. However, most subway art seems too stark… too industrial for my tastes.
Then there are darling canvases like this one that Jen at Tatertots & Jello did. However, there is no. way. that I could put something this sweet in my house full of boys.
I had purchased a 24″ x 48″ pre-cut plywood board at my hardware store and had them cut it down to 24″ x 36″. I sanded it down, primed it and painted it white. I stood the painted board against the wall and taped my poster sized copy to it. Using a level, I marked guidelines across the board with a pencil.
I then cut the text into strips to make it more manageable and used a spray adhesive on the back of the paper strips to adhere it to regular old contact paper. (It doesn’t matter what color, print, etc.)
I used a brayer to make sure it was good and secure to the contact paper, then I cut it into individual lines of text.
Yes. I cut out each one of those suckers with an exacto knife. It was a suckfest and took me two days. I did one line at a time. Peel the backing from the contact paper off of the letter and place it on the board, rubbing it down securely with the brayer.
When all the letters were tightly adhered, I took the board outside and sprayed another coat of white paint over the entire thing.
I knew I wanted something with a lighter, kind of citrus-y feel, so I broke out the red and yellow acrylic paint and just started mixing. My intention was to sand it down, so I didn’t worry about it being perfect.
When the whole piece was covered, I made sure the paint application looked balanced….
then I let it dry a little bit before I started peeling off the letters.
Some of the brushed on paint seeped under the letter, so I cleaned the edges up by scraping it lightly with a dulled exacto blade.
Once completely dry, I sanded it lightly and then made a wash of 1 part champagne colored metallic paint to 3 parts water. I brushed it on and wiped it off several times to add an aged look to the piece.
I painted an old frame I got at an estate sale for $1 and popped the board into that. (It’s not perfect, and it’s held in there with duct tape, but it works. Shh. Don’t tell anyone.)