It's going on 3 weeks of colds and people feeling crummy around here. I'm finally feeling better and thought I'd take you on a tour of my house, just in time for the romantic 14th of February...
Welcome! Love is in the air, come on in. (But be warned, the cold and flu bug is in the air too, so enter at your own risk...)
The front door is as far as I've gotten for my Valentine's decor.
Does the storage bin for my Valentine's stuff count as a decoration?
I hope so, because it's been sitting just inside our front door for weeks. Festive, right?
How do you like my Valentine's Day mantel? I spray painted some old shutters red, and then I was going to.... (Where's the NyQuil...?)
Oh, and trust me, there is still plenty of Christmas spirit laying around too!1. Gold pedestal bowls and pine cones. These bowls should have been spray painted white and the pine cones should have been replaced with moss covered spheres weeks ago.
2. I temporarily recovered our chandelier shades with a rich red fabric for Christmas. (I also managed to punch a hole through a shade with my thumb while recovering them.) Nothing else in the room is red.
3. There is still Christmas candy sitting around.
4. There are still ornaments and decor that need to be packed away.
Oh! I did manage to take some of my Valentine's decor out of the storage bin...
But worse than the lack of Valentine's decor (or any decor, really) is the state that my house is in. I've totally lost my housekeeping mojo. It is like a bomb went off in here.
The living room...
1. A make-shift ottoman using Grant's tiny camp chair and a throw pillow, since Handsome Hubby and I haven't found a real one that we both can agree on.
2. Grant's headphones and iPod, which I have repeatedly asked him to put away, but I am too tired to follow up on and make him do it.
3. Grant's drawings (which are everywhere).
4. Kleenex and Purell (which also are everywhere).
5. Various DVDs, many of which are currently missing the DVD. (I suspect they are on top of the DVD player. Loose. And getting scratched up.)
6. Mitchell's camera, which has been sitting there since the week after Christmas. (see #2)
7. A smoke detector. (Why? Seriously, can someone tell me why?)
8. A Calvin & Hobbes book, which Grant has just discovered, and he insists on reading out loud to me AND describing what is happening in the pictures. (I am thinking of kicking it further under the coffee table.)
Oh, and lets not get started on all of the dust...
The living room isn't the only casualty of my Housekeeping Hiatus. There's also the dining room...
1. A mercury glass bowl that is very fragile (which explains why it's balanced on top of a pile of crap on a chair) and it normally sits on the buffet, but as you can see, the buffet is full.
2. A box of paint and art supplies I need use to make a project. I am hoping for an idea of what to make for said project.
3. Christmas items for next year, purchased at a clearance sale in early January.
4. A big bowl that usually sits on the dining room table but for some reason has moved to the buffet and has displaced Bowl #1 from its rightful spot (and fighting for position with the aforementioned Pile o' Valentine's decor).
5. Everyone keeps spray paint in their dining room, right...?
6. Grant's markers and pencils that he uses to make all of the earlier mentioned drawings.
7. My mess from making these shabby chic pots a few weeks ago.
8. The calculator to add up how many chores and projects that I need to do.
And of course the dining table is loaded with junk too...
1. The bowl that's been booted from its normal spot.
2. My blog book full of commitments I need to keep, posts I need to write, projects I need to finish and paperwork I need to keep track of. (I have not looked at it in a week.)
3. An Einstein science project Grant was working on, has finished, and has yet to return to school.
4. An invitation to my niece's birthday dinner (tomorrow) and I have yet to get her a gift.
5. Mail to be gone through.
6. Another one of those %$#* Calvin & Hobbes books.
7. Pledge and a dust cloth. That's progress. A week ago it was still under the sink. Next week I might even clean with it.
8. A lone, rogue tomato. (Why?)
9. Grant's homework that was due today but he didn't get finished because he's coming down with the cold and flu bug too.
10. One of Grant's drawings, a crumpled napkin and a dish cloth. In that order. (I have no idea.)
Oh, and I need to get to the grocery store too.
And then there's the dog and the window thing. Don't. Even. Get. Me. Started.
I have not been a very consistent blogger the past few weeks and I have not been a very faithful blog reader either. (My blog friends who may have been feeling neglected can view this as an apology and a promise to get it together. They know who they are.) Thanks for being patient and I hope to get it together soon.