Happy Valentine’s Day. NOT. Keepin’ it real: My house is a freaking disaster.

It’s going on 3 weeks of colds and people feeling crummy around here.  I’m finally feeling better and thought I’d take you on a tour of my house, just in time for the romantic 14th of February…
Welcome! Love is in the air, come on in.  (But be warned, the cold and flu bug is in the air too, so enter at your own risk…)

The front door is as far as I’ve gotten for my Valentine’s decor.
Does the storage bin for my Valentine’s stuff count as a decoration?

I hope so, because it’s been sitting just inside our front door for weeks.  Festive, right?

How do you like my Valentine’s Day mantel?  I spray painted some old shutters red, and then I was going to….  (Where’s the NyQuil…?)
Oh, and trust me, there is still plenty of Christmas spirit laying around too!

1. Gold pedestal bowls and pine cones. These bowls should have been spray painted white and the pine cones should have been replaced with moss covered spheres weeks ago.
2. I temporarily recovered our chandelier shades with a rich red fabric for Christmas.  (I also managed to punch a hole through a shade with my thumb while recovering them.)  Nothing else in the room is red.
3. There is still Christmas candy sitting around.
4. There are still ornaments and decor that need to be packed away.

Oh!  I did manage to take some of my Valentine’s decor out of the storage bin…

But worse than the lack of Valentine’s decor (or any decor, really) is the state that my house is in.  I’ve totally lost my housekeeping mojo.  It is like a bomb went off in here.
The living room…

1. A make-shift ottoman using Grant’s tiny camp chair and a throw pillow, since Handsome Hubby and I haven’t found a real one that we both can agree on.
2. Grant’s headphones and iPod, which I have repeatedly asked him to put away, but I am too tired to follow up on and make him do it.
3. Grant’s drawings (which are everywhere).
4. Kleenex and Purell (which also are everywhere).
5. Various DVDs, many of which are currently missing the DVD. (I suspect they are on top of the DVD player.  Loose.  And getting scratched up.)
6. Mitchell’s camera, which has been sitting there since the week after Christmas. (see #2)
7. A smoke detector. (Why?  Seriously, can someone tell me why?)
8. A Calvin & Hobbes book, which Grant has just discovered, and he insists on reading out loud to me AND describing what is happening in the pictures.  (I am thinking of kicking it further under the coffee table.)

Oh, and lets not get started on all of the dust…

The living room isn’t the only casualty of my Housekeeping Hiatus.  There’s also the dining room…

1. A mercury glass bowl that is very fragile (which explains why it’s balanced on top of a pile of crap on a chair) and it normally sits on the buffet, but as you can see, the buffet is full.
2. A box of paint and art supplies I need use to make a project.  I am hoping for an idea of what to make for said  project.
3. Christmas items for next year, purchased at a clearance sale in early January.
4. A big bowl that usually sits on the dining room table but for some reason has moved to the buffet and has displaced Bowl #1 from its rightful spot (and fighting for position with the aforementioned Pile o’ Valentine’s decor).
5. Everyone keeps spray paint in their dining room, right…?
6. Grant’s markers and pencils that he uses to make all of the earlier mentioned drawings.
7. My mess from making these shabby chic pots a few weeks ago.
8. The calculator to add up how many chores and projects that I need to do.

And of course the dining table is loaded with junk too…

1. The bowl that’s been booted from its normal spot.
2. My blog book full of commitments I need to keep, posts I need to write, projects I need to finish and paperwork I need to keep track of.  (I have not looked at it in a week.)
3. An Einstein science project Grant was working on, has finished, and has yet to return to school.
4. An invitation to my niece’s birthday dinner (tomorrow) and I have yet to get her a gift.
5. Mail to be gone through.
6. Another one of those %$#* Calvin & Hobbes books.
7. Pledge and a dust cloth.  That’s progress.  A week ago it was still under the sink. Next week I might even clean with it.
8. A lone, rogue tomato. (Why?)
9. Grant’s homework that was due today but he didn’t get finished because he’s coming down with the cold and flu bug too.
10. One of Grant’s drawings, a crumpled napkin and a dish cloth. In that order. (I have no idea.)

Oh, and I need to get to the grocery store too.

And then there’s the dog and the window thing.  Don’t. Even. Get. Me. Started.

I have not been a very consistent blogger the past few weeks and I have not been a very faithful blog reader either.  (My blog friends who may have been feeling neglected can view this as an apology and a promise to get it together.  They know who they are.)  Thanks for being patient and I hope to get it together soon.

Pin It

Comments

I once found ten- yes ten bags of just the heels of bread in my cupboard. Yea, no one likes the heels-or butts as we call them. And my house looks pretty similar to yours right now and we are all perfectly healthy.

THANK YOU!!! I seriously thought about taking a picture of my home right now and putting it up on Facebook and then running for cover. It feels like a disaster, and I totally relate to the lost mojo thing. It’s so nice to all know we’re not alone. Love you Viv for being so real…take care of yourself(selves) and get better and give yourself some grace. Hugs!

Heather

I manage to keep up, in good health, on most days, with only three of us. Throw a wrench in there and :poof: instant mayhem!

I don’t know HOW you do it?
    Even when all the planets are aligned I can imagine a house full of boys are hard to keep up with.

Get well and feel better. It’ll all be there waiting for you 😉

Unfortunately.

This is my house right now too. Our master is on the main level so the upstairs is totally devoted to the kids. When I get too overwhelmed I just try not to go up there. The first level is neat and clean but the second level of the house is my deep, dark secret that looks like an episode of “Hoarders”. I’m hoping when we all get over colds at our house I’ll have the will to go up there and throw stuff away.

I knew that I was going to run up and hug you at Haven, now I might have to kiss you! I hope y’all are feeling better, my house looks like this even when I’m not sick, I can’t stay off the computer long enough to finish anything 😉 Have a great weekend!
    Debbie

I second Emmy – my house looks like that when we’re NOT all sick. Don’t worry, I will make sure it looks like we clean when you come to visit!

We also have multiple bags of bread heals on the counter. So irritating!

I’m sorry you all are feeling crappy! I just came down with it, and I just don’t have time for this crap!

I’m glad you’re on the mend – hope everyone is healthy super quick!

This so made me laugh, especially the dog snot. Our doggie door looks exactly like that. I do have to stick up for C&H though cause I love those little guys LOL!

Viviene, thanks so much for “keeping it real”! Sometimes I will see pictures posted on various blogs and their houses always look perfect. It looks wonderful, don’t get me wrong, but it’s discouraging because I work full time and don’t have a housekeeper and feel like my house is never going to look nice. :-( Anyway, I appreciate seeing other people’s messes because it helps me to know that I’m not the only one who doesn’t have a cleared off coffee table! Thanks for all the fun and pretty stuff you post. Happy Valentine’s Day.

Oh my…I want to express my sincere sympathy for your family’s illness, but its a good thing you can’t hear my giggling as I do…:-)) Yup, that is REAL LIFE!!! In my house, too…and as several people mentioned, even without the illness reason!!! This too will pass!! :-))

This post made me feel so much better about the state of my own house, so thank you :) Hope y’all are feeling better soon and you may as well give up on v-day and start thinking about easter? 4th of july? ha ha!

LOVED this post!!! Seriously LOVED it! LOVED how real it was! And I enjoyed the tour of your “lived in” home! As much as I enjoy seeing perfection in other people’s blog pics..I have to admit, sometimes I come away feeling totally inadequate. After reading this, I appreciate all you do here in for us in blogland even more. And your “mess” is only temporary. Hope you’re feeling better & that you haven’t shared with too many family members. (Bread heels — I collect mine,throw them all in a ziploc baggie in the freezer and then make a delicious batch of bread pudding from them.)

This could be one of my all time favorite posts!!
    The pictures are awesome.
    I love how “real” it is!
    And is that your new camera?? Cuz you are taking great shots! :)
    I love the heels…why does nobody else love the heels?!

Oh I loved, loved, loved this post! This is totally me and our house right now. I’m sick too, boo! I thought about doing a post like this, but completely ran outta juice. This was hilarious and just the giggle I needed 😀 So, does your dog chew up your used snot rags, and do you then find them laying in a soggy mess on the floor for a couple of days or is it just me? Oh… It’s just me isn’t it :)

I am SO with you….I was sick for 2 weeks and feel like the house crashed down around me…especially after being away for 1 week after that. Somehow my daughter has NO socks left and my son lost all his t-shirts….I have a half ripped apart chair recover that may never get finished….and not ONE Valentine decoration up…oh well! :) Hope that you are feeling better!

I do have one friend who’s house is spotless top to bottom no matter how she feels. Fortunately she no longer lives near me and I only have to see it once every couple years. Her daughter did say to me once that when she grows up she is going to have a house that looks like someone lives in it.
    Your house looks like the rest of ours.

Thank you for keeping it real. I have lost my creative mojo since Christmas and haven’t blogged at all, plus working 40 hours a week and then being the ever responsible parent attending soccer games and driving to dance classes…hardly leaves much time for creativity and housekeeping. Hope everyone in your house is feeling better soon!

I finally took my Christmas tree down last week… and the stockings, garland, centerpieces, etc. that went along with it. My house was so disgusting! I was shoving things out of the way to be able to take pics for blog posts.
    Hope you feel better soon, and can start a cleaning-binge. I was exhausted, yet satisfied, when I finally got to do mine. :)
    ps – all that clutter does have a silver lining… less dust collects there, because the clutter covers the furniture! :)

You are in good company…this hiatus is going around! This is what I love about you…how real you are…no fluff…just real Viv :) Make sure you go easy on yourself…things will fall into place soon or later. Hugs! If I lived close I would bring over a bottle of wine (and a Coke for me).