My 3 favorite words: “You Were Right” (the great media cabinet victory.)

OK.  I forgot to show you something that I did last summer.

And I’m really surprised I didn’t show you this earlier, because it was one of those decorating things that my husband told me I couldn’t do…. but I bugged him and bugged him until finally decided that this was not the hill he wanted to die on.

I had wanted to paint this dated pine media cabinet for years.  Handsome Hubby always said no.  (He was afraid I was going to paint it black.) (Cue the Stones right here.)

I liked the shape and size for the most part, but hated the clear glass where you could see all our crap.
I also hated that it was pine and the rest of the wood pieces in the room were dark and it was too many competing wood tones (especially when you factor in the ginormous wall of paneling that HH won’t let me paint either…)

Things started going my way when HH suggested we paint an accent wall in our living room. (Which was his fabulous idea, by the way.)  We picked out paint together.  I’m not sure how I did it, but I convinced him to let me paint the cabinet the very lightest green on the paint chip.  This looks almost white, but it is a very, very, very light green.

I love how it looks against the darker green wall.  I also love that the two dark wood tables on either side of it   look coordinated and polished.  Before it was like Early American Garage Sale with all that competing wood.
I primed the whole thing, painted it, then used Rustoleum’s glass frosting spray on the two glass panels.  Rustoleum’s Hammered Metal paint turned the wooden knobs into metal ones.
Prime. Paint. Decorate.
Easy.
The best part of this re-do?  That every once in a while, HH will randomly say, “Gosh, that looks so much better!”
The winner, the winner, the winner!!!
Please check the bottom of the blog to see where I’ve linked this project.
Home Stories A 2 Z  –  Savvy Southern Style

Weekend Bloggy Reading

Pin It

This post is sponsored by Bathroom Mirrors Direct (BMD). Embellish your walls!
Buy mirrors at BMD and inspire your creativity.

Comments

Now I know what you did last summer (makes me think of that movie). This looks GREAT! I love what you did to the glass too. You were SO right!

LOL…that looks amazing!!! It doesn’t even look like the same stand! I just won a small victory last night,too! I’m about to paint our sink cabinet in our half-bath!! But I am going black! :) Oh….if they could just see our vision!

it looks awesome, i love it! so, i want to paint my kitchen table white (which is currently a similar color to what yours was before the re-do) why didn’t you have to sand it first? this is the main reason I’ve been putting off doing it, because sanding the chairs would be torture.

That does look so much better! So crisp and inviting. I think frosting the glass was the best move, it makes it so much less cluttered.

Great job as usual!!!

OMG – everything looks great. I really love the details – frosted glass and the knobs!! I’ve got to get some of that metal paint and have at some of my knobs.

Bahahahahah! The winner!
    It does look fab, though. The hammered metal paint is AWESOME. I love it. I used it last year on a bunch of stuff too!

Okay totally bowing down to your awesomeness! And not only did you get to make it look awesome but you got to say I told you so! Priceless!

Wow that was such a big piece of furniture to tackle. How long did that take you? And did you spray paint it? It looks white, but it’s green…I love that because it still brightens up the room. Tell HH I said thanks for finally giving in. It’s beautiful.

That is such an amazing transformation!!! It doesn’t even look like the same piece of furniture!! Wow!!! Gorgeousness!!!

Guys are so weird about changing wood!!?? Just the other night I suggested we paint our TV cabinet white and got a fast NO!!! We’ll see though now that I have your piece as ammunition..er…inspiration!! :)

Stunning difference! It is beautiful. Guess you showed him who the Number One Finest Kind Decorator is.
    Now tell me about the top of the wall by the seiling? The strip of differentness up there? What is it and how did you do that?

!!! WOW !!! That looks freakin’ fantastic in white!! What a difference – and budget saver!!! You really did an EXCELLENT job!! Way to go! xo

Lynda

Wow Vivienne! It looks absolutely stunning! Isn’t it amazing what a coat paint can do?! Great job! :) Thank you so much for linking up! Hope you have a fantastic weekend!
    Crystal
    Homemaker in Heels

I have almost this exact cabinet sitting in my basement because it’s so old fashioned looking and doesn’t go with anything else.
    You are my savior, Miss Vivienne! I said that in some sort of southern accent because, somehow, I thought it sounded funny like that.

I usually pride myself on having a decent vision when it comes to decorating. Right now though, my mouth is hanging open. The before pic (quite honestly) didn’t appeal to me. Kind of big and awkward. (Sorry) But NOW….it is a beautiful piece. Coloring is perfection. My hat is off to you….and HH, too

This looks so fantastic! “You were right” are my three favorite words, too, so I can only imagine how validating that is! :) Thanks so much for sharing!

That is simply amazing and a lot of hard work! What is the lighter paint that you used? I am thinking of painting a pie safe because it is that honey color now and pretty ugly.

LOVE this cabinet!! Is your husband by any chance related to mine? Just wondering….

Thanks so much for linking up to Saturday Social this week! I hope to see you next week as well!!

xoxo

Jenn

Vivienne,

Wanted to say “hi” as this is my first visit to your blog … saw your post on Clean & Scentsible.

You have a great eye for what pieces can become and the “after” is wonderful.

A woman must have invented paint because it seems that men are so resistant to the idea of painting large wood furniture! Glad you prevailed.

Robin
    happilyhomeafter.blogspot.com

It looks amazing!! Such a great idea for the knobs and I love the frosted doors too. Thanks so much for linking up to The Creative Spark. I’ll be featuring this on my facebook page later today.
    Jenn :)

Beautiful! I have a similar oak-toned entertainment center and I am SO TIRED of that wood color. (My 51 kitchen cabinets and drawers are all the same color.)

It’s so good to know there’s hope for a new look!

No matter how many times I see transformations done with simple painting….the shock factor never wears off! It’s looks so gorgeous! Hopefully this will help convince HH to give you free rein painting what you please! If they all turn out this wonderful you can’t go wrong!

Oh that is such a man thing to not want to paint wood, even if the wood doesn’t go with anything else. Why???? That is one amazing Redoux. I seriously would have had to look hard to figure out the before and after even went together. I bet you are soooooo happy you finally got your way. And, the bonus that he tells you how good it looks!

WOW – absolutely AMAZING! I’m so glad I found you through Tatertots and Jello, I saw your link up!! I LOVE this I want to paint our dresser to maybe I’ll try this light light green color I LOVE it!! I’m your newest follower :) You can find me here:
    I’d love if you came to visit me 😉

XOXOXO,
    Lilli

Thanks for sharing your post!!!!

Gotta agree with everyone who saw this before I did. Looks great! My hubs has a thing against painting wood, but after 35 years of having it his way, he’s caving in to let me have some things my way. Now that we’re both disabled and can’t just do it like when we were healthier, it’ll take years to get it done, but I won!!! Isn’t it a great feeling?????
    Janet

WOW!!! LOVE! it turned out so great! Please tell me how you get so many people to comment??? I’d love to know the trick as I know FULL well how great it is to receive comments & how encouraging it is to a blogger.

DaNita

Beautiful job! Love the new look. I also think it’s great that you used a perfectly good piece(s) of furniture and updated it to make it look new. I love how it looks in the room.