Make a big Newspaper Sail Boat (using everyday items…)

I shared this project earlier this month at The Country Chic Cottage‘s “Beach Bash”.   I was asked to come up with a beach themed craft, and I knew immediately what I wanted to do.  I wanted to try and create one of those big, gorgeous (expensive) sailboats for my mantel.

You know what happened?  EPIC. FAIL.

What’s a crafty girl to do?  Pardon the pun, but I changed course and decided to embrace the failure.  The finished product is more Huck Finn than it is Nantucket Weekend, but I am really liking it.
Sort of papier mache, sort of not… I give you my Newspaper Sail Boat:
boat mosaic, newspaper, sail boat, paper mache

I did NOT want to spend any a lot of money on my project.  I am not even kidding when I tell you I used what I had, and only what I had….
one and two

Step 1: Get a piece of wood from the wood pile and ask Handsome Hubby to drill a hole in it “real fast”, even though he’s walking out the door to go to work.

Step 2: Find old pieces of cardboard and use duct tape to make a frame around the log. Tape the log down as well.

Step 3: Get a big piece of kraft paper and fold it over and around the basic boat shape of the cardboard.  Secure with duct tape.
DSCN4579

steps 3 thru 6

Step 4: Take basic and wonderful Elmer’s Glue and water it down.  Brush it on the “boat” and then add strips of newspaper.  Brush more of the glue mixture over the top.

Step 5: Keep adding layers of newspaper, including across the top of the “boat” being sure to leave an opening over the drilled hole, where your “Mast” will go.

Step 6: When you realize that this might be a dumb idea after all, and that you might only have a mess on your kitchen counter and wise-cracking husband as a result of your efforts, pour a glass of wine and keep going.
steps 7 thru 10

Step 7: After all the newspaper was applied with the Elmer’s Glue mixture, go over it with a nice coating of Mod Podge as a sealant. Figure out the general size and shape you’d like the sails to be and cut them out of fabric.  This was left-over drop cloth from another project I did.

Step 8: I decided I wanted to put our house number on the sail.  Make a stencil (use a cutting machine or a store-bought one) and apply to your “sail.”   Be sure to put newspaper or a protective layer of something between the fabric and your work surface.

Step 9: Use a stipling brush to lightly apply paint.  (Or if you’re me and can’t find a stipling brush, an old toothbrush will work too)  Blot with a paper towel. (I also painted the dowel I used for the mast this same blue.)

Step 10: Use a wire coat hanger to serve as a frame for the bottom of the sails.  Unwind it and cut it to length.
steps 11 thru 14

At this point, you will want to fire up your hot glue gun.  I put a little hot glue on the end of the dowel “Mast” and wedged it into the log in the bottom of the boat at this time as well.

Step 11: At the bottom of each sail, poke a small hole on each end.

Step 12: Insert the cut piece of wire from the front side of each sail and run it the length of the sails. Secure with a little dab of hot glue on the back.  It is one wire running through both sails.  Here’s an additional picture so you can see what I mean.
DSCN4621

Step 13: Poke a hole at the top of each sail and hook a piece of wire through both of holes.

Step 14: Hot glue the crap out of the ring at the top.  (shh.  It’s a technical term.)  Since I knew this would have a definite “front” and “back” side on the boat, I did not worry too much about how it looks from the back.  You will also want to put a little, teeny, tiny, barely noticeable drop of glue where the wire at the bottom of the sails crosses the mast to help it stay in place.

Ta-Da.
newspaper, sailboat, DIY
Now that I’ve made one of these, I’m thinking they would be cute at a party.
Instead of putting my house number, how cool would it be to have one on a buffet table that says EAT or FOOD and one near the drinks that says BAR…?  hmmmm.  I might need to have a summer party just so I can do this…

Even though Handsome Hubby is not a fan… and is, in fact, still rolling his eyes, I like it.  He should consider himself lucky I have ditched the idea of a full blown Columbus Day celebration where I would be compelled to make the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria.

Check the bottom of the blog to see where I’ve linked this project.

Comments

As usual, I’m amazed. This would be so cute as a table center piece of any kind of buffet table decoration. I love it!!

And I agree with Maggie, I would’ve had the wine pouring way before I even thought of starting the project, haha

I laughed at how you grabbed HH as he was walking out the door…classic Viv! Great job…you put a lot of work into that and totally deserved that glass of wine (or two).

That is incredible! What an awesome tutorial as well! So glad you took time out of your busy day to visit my blog and leave some love. :) Made my day! Have a good one!

Very cool…and yes, gluing the crap out of something IS a technical term right out of the Cursing Crafter’s dictionary. :)

So very cool. I am obsessed with paper at the moment. May just need to make me one of these. Glad you are back. Hope you enjoyed your break.

Very cute, but will be waiting for October because I’m not convinced you won’t go for it!

Hope you will please drop by and enter my $50 Overstock.com Gift Card Giveaway!! If there are 500 entries, they will increase the Gift Card to $100.

Love your boat…and the glass of wine in between brush strokes is priceless!!
    Let him roll his eyes….just have some more wine!! Ha!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

Vivienne, your blogs are super great! I love this sailboat. I am hosting a linky and would love for you to join the party!
    HUGS,
    Jenni

Very cute. I did a similar one minus the newspaper a few weeks ago. My husband is still rolling his eyes over that one! Men just don’t get it!

Okay Viv! First this is adorable! I was thinking how cute for a “boat themed” birthday party or even a pirate party and making a pirate sail instead. BUT, I am laughing out loud at your husband drilling the hole in the wood while trying to leave for work AND you having a glass of wine in the middle of the project. So, how early *did* you break out the wine? lol

You always make every project fun as well as creative! Thanks for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday!

Heather

This is such a fun idea, definitely something to keep in mind for a beachy or pirate themed party. My boys would also love to have a go making a boat, thanks for sharing.

VIVIENNE, Wow how awesome this turned out. I LOVE that you didn’t buy a single thing to make it, that’s MY KIND OF gal, he he. No wonder Lesley loves ya so much, you are RAD, oh and hello the whole SO CAL social thing, are you kidding me. I WISH I could go, erghh.

I’m your newest follower FINALLY he he.

Stop by anytime to say hello!!!
    Hugs, Bella :)
    **AMAZE ME AUGUST** @ Bella Before and After Any projects, recipes, diy welcome.
    **PARTY PLANNING TUESDAYS** @ Euro Style Cakes. All your party planning tips, decorations, invitations, and recipes welcome at my NEW party.

Almost forgot….

I would LOVE to invite you to check out my weekly parties. I would be so happy if you linked up, this and any other fabulous project you are working on. MAYBE even add me to your party LIST (yikes). That would be RAD!!!
    Stop by anytime to say hello!!!
    Hugs, Bella :)

Tell that hubby of your’s that it is cute as a button! Just think of all the things you could put in it during a party! Love it!
    Ginger@SavvyShanty

Viv – it’s awesome!! I think it came out wonderfully!! AND I must admit – step 6 made me laugh out loud!! Thank you so much for linking up this week at Saturday Social!

xoxo

Jenn @ Social Salutations

Great job! I love how you just used what you already had around and it turned out so cute! Thanks so much for the wonderful tutorial too – I might try something like this {including the wine!}. I’ll be featuring this tomorrow – thanks for linking up to The Creative Spark!
    Jenn