Turning the dog’s chew toy into a chair. A Mod Podge make-over.

This was my project for Round 2 of One Month To Win It’s craft competition. Now that the voting is over I can share it with you. The challenge was to do something that involved Mod Podge.

Mod Podge and I go way back, but we have a sort of volatile relationship. (There have been a couple of projects in our history that didn’t go well, and I think we each blamed the other for the failure.) However, for this challenge I thought we worked rather well together. (If anything, it was Paint and Camera who were uncooperative on this one.)
For this task, I Mod Podged an old wooden chair that had been in our backyard for years. If memory serves, the previous owners left it here.
This chair was a mess, but I’d been hanging onto it because it had nice lines. Our dog chewed on it. I asked her about it, but she just gave me a guilty smile and invoked her 5th Amendment right to not incriminate herself.

The chair was kind of rough and rickety (1) and while our dog had actually chewed a little bit all over the chair, she really took big chunks out of it on the front slat on the seat(2).

With a whole lot of spackle, I filled holes and basically created a whole new seat slat. The chair was sanded, primed, and the edges were sprayed with an apple green paint. (3) I then hand mixed acrylic paints to get the exact shade of green to match my fabric. The chair was painted with that.

I had been looking for scrapbook paper for this project, but this apple-sage green and cream geometric fabric practically jumped into my arms at JoAnn’s. Taking care to keep the pattern straight and lined up, I cut the fabric into strips and Mod Podged them to the seat slats (4) and the back slats (5). The fabric was definitely easier to work with than paper would have been. Also because it was thicker and had some texture, it better hid the spackled/repaired areas (which were not repaired perfectly.)

When the whole thing was dry I mixed a wash of Mod Podge and watered-down gold paint and went over the whole piece. (6)

It took several attempts to get the paint and the wash just right. After all that careful mixing and painting, I cannot get the camera and lighting right so that the color of the chair comes out in the photos.

This photographs like a beige-green-gray, but really it is a soft apple green. (Gee, I sure wish you could see it.)
I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out. It is certainly better that it was as the dog’s chew toy!

For real Mod Podge tutorials from a genius, go and visit this lady….
Amy from Mod Podge Rocks knows this stuff backwards and forwards and you’ll be amazed by some of the things she has created.

Pin It

Comments

That looks great! And I can just “visualize” the apple green colors – I know it is beautiful! I had to chuckle about the dog – I have one that will chew on anything. Glad to know sometimes you can repair their damage!
    Thanks for sharing your post.

HI
    I am your newest follower and I just love the chair project with mod podge

I’ve used it to cover an old thrift store find desk with a world map (one of the old nat geo mag ones) it looks much more interesting now.

I love the chair! It turned out beautifully!! I have a chair that could use this kind of treatment!! Mod Podge huh? Well I will have to give it a try. Wonder how it will weather???
    Thanks for the tips
    Hugs
    SueAnn

What a great idea! I wouldn’t have thought to a) use modge podge with fabric (I’ve only used it with paper) and b) to modge podge a chair. This turned out lovely!

Visiting from craft-o-maniac.

Gotta love that Mod Podge! The chair turned out awesome! Love it! Oh, and I spy with my little eye…I have that same cute birdcage I see behind your chair 😛

Hugs and Kisses,
    ♥Ana

Another AMAZING project!!! Is there anything you can’t do?
    Thanks for sharing your great chair at the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami

Wow! Your chair looks amazing! In your picture the soft apple green paint and the fabric are such a good match that it looks like the chair has been perfectly stenciled. I hope you’ve had a chance to sit down and relax in it!

I love how you used the mod podge on this chair. your choice of material was with very good taste. I am your newest follower. hope you can stop on by
    Au revoir
    Caroline

Well done, I think I need to add modge podge to my list!Happy Friday,Happy Good Friday, Happy Earth Day, Happy Jelly Bean Day ( yes it’s actually jelly bean day)Hugs from Katherine. P.S have you entered my giveaway?

What a super reDo. I know Guilty Dog Smile & I hope after you finished the chair you got Happy Dog Smile. If not, I’ll give you Happy Ratty Hugs instead. ~C8>

This looks great! Oh, I love Mod Podge. I haven’t been using it (at least not well) for very long now, but I’m definitely hooked on the stuff. I don’t think I ever would have thought to Mod Podge this kid of chair, though. The results are pretty spectacular!

I love it! It looks so fantastic and I’m glad the 2 of you (you and miss Mod) didn’t need to go into counseling or anything. LOL! Thanks so much for sharing this last weekend at Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

I have dining room chairs that one of my pets (a dog) from a while back (too long – 20 years) chewed on. Maybe I should think about doing something similar!

I know the fabric from JoAnne’s that you used! It is one that I’ve had my eye on sincde I found it on an ETSY website for fabric. Good choice.

I might suggest you could also make a cushion to go with the chair out of the same fabric or perhaps a placemat or tablecloth if there would be a nearby table…

I’m a new follower.

Thanks for your blog.

Hi Viv-
    I love what you did to the chair. You have a great eye you have added the decorative paper the way you did. This is on fabulous DIY.

My best-Diane