No-sew curtain panels.

Let me say this out of the gate: I can sew, I just usually choose not to.
(OK, I almost ALWAYS choose not to.)

I sew with a glue gun. (Don’t you judge me.)

I don’t usually buy pre-made curtain panels. I found a great discount fabric store where I can get gorgeous fabrics anywhere from $3 to $8 a yard. (Sometimes even a $1 a yard!) I like to change out the panels in my dining room seasonally. (And I can because fabric is cheap.)

This was what I had up during the fall. (I dropped the ball during the winter and never got around to doing this for Christmas.) These 2 panels flank the slider in my dining room.

They were a nice warm sage/rust flannel plaid, but spring is here and I wanted something lighter. It was time for them to go.

Here’s my version of how to make No-Sew Curtain Panels:

I bought about 7 yards of a pretty stripe for about $35 bucks. I measure the area I want to cover and then add on about 5 extra inches for hemming and to create the pocket for the rod.

I unroll the bolt and lay it out on my dining room table.

It helps if you can get all of the chairs out of the way without an old cat getting pissed off at you for daring to disturb his slumber.

Once I cut the 2 panels, I also wanted to create a valance for the top of the panels. I don’t measure super accurately… I just eyeball it. I knew I wanted the finished “valance” to be about 10 or 11 inches long, so to play it safe I cut two lengths about 14 ”

Working with a stripe makes it easy. If you just make sure the stripes are lining up, you’ll have a pretty straight line.

Use your iron to make a nice crisp crease where you want it.

A little tiny scallop? pfft. Doesn’t matter…. we’re going to add trim in a minute.

“Hem” the rough edge with Stitch Witchery or your glue gun.

Take the selvage edge, fold it over and iron it flat. Secure with glue gun or Stitch Witchery.

Now adding your trim: I used a glue gun and eye balled it into a straight line. (Because I am all about the precise and professional results….)

When you’ve glued the trim to the front of the valance panel, flip it over and “wrap” a little of the trim edge around the back and secure with extra glue so that it doesn’t unravel.

Set the valances aside.
Now take the main panels, fold over the selvage edges and secure them.

Once that is done, lay your valance on top of the panel. Both should be right side up. Secure at the top with the glue gun or the Stitch Witchery.

Once they are adhered to each other, fold over and allow an inch or two for the curtain rod. This is where you are better served by the glue gun than the Stitch Witch. You will be adhering multiple layers of fabric and it will all be hanging off the rod from this point, so go for strongest hold.

At this point, get it on the rod and see where you need to hem the bottom of the panel. Decide where you want the hem to hit the floor and mark with a pin.

Fold over at the pin and secure with Stitch Witch.

Put it back up and make sure it hits the floor where you want it to.

Works for me. Cheap, easy and very little time commitment. Which is good, because I’ll probably end up changing them again in a few months…

You can go and visit the Nesting Place to see truly brilliant window “mistreatments.”

What’s next for this room? Changing out these autumnal shades on my chandelier.

Comments

Judge…are you crazy. Those are amazing. I can’t believe they are not sewn. I need to do something for my sliding glass door like right now so I will need to bookmark this post (just adding to the others of yours that I have bookmarked).

I’ve been thinking of adding some mistreatments to my little apartment.

I can sew…but not with a machine. I think I like your idea better.

Love this post! I’ve been needing to make some new curtains, but I have a HUGE fear of the sewing machine.. and a tight wallet. Your idea should work perfect!

Smaashing my dear… really they look wonderful and for those who don’t sew your technique will be a god send!.. I love doing new curtains but honestly find it faster to sew than to glue..but with so much expereince with sewing I suppose it makes sense that is would be faster for me.

What I am totally jealous of is your place for good priced fabric.. for that I would give my left leg.. around here fabric is So expensive!!!

Maddie

you have mad skillz!

i have a sewing machine, but it takes a LOT for me to actually take it out and get busy with it. lol

i like to switch out the curtains at least twice a year. i think i need it is TIME, as the dark and heavy is just all wrong for spring and summer!

So pretty! Never would have guessed they aren’t sewn! I think I’d have to stick to the sewing machine though…if I tried that much hot gluing I’d have to go get skin grafts on my burnt fingers!

Hello

My name is Kim

And I have sewed with a glue gun for the past 2 years

Love it! I do prefer the Heat Bond to Stitch Witchery, but I am with you on the glue gun. All of my pillow covers are hot glued together, If you are REALLY careful no one ever knows the difference!

I totally love them! I also love the fact that you change your drapery seasonally. That would send me to the funny farm!

BTW- let Corsa in, she’s ready for bed!

I’m not judging coz just like you, I can’t sew if it saves my life. But I can glue and usually use fabric glue.

Love, love the color of your curtains. You did a fantastic job girl!

Happy Feathered Nest Friday!
    -marie

Wow! That’s my kind of sewing project! I prefer a glue gun any day.I would never have known they weren’t sewn if you hadn’t told on yourself! :-)They look fantastic and you make it look easy! Stopping by from the Girl Creative and I’ve signed on as your newest follower! Stop by and say hello when you have a minute. Have a wonderful weekend!

Honey, if I could glue like you, I’d quit sewing! :) Your drapes are so lovely and are just perfect in your dining room. I wish I could find fabrics for that cost! Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ๐Ÿ˜‰

Fantastic- of course!! I just paid good hard-earned cash for ones that were already made…… cost a lot but you know me and a glue gun are not the best of friends……

~Becca

Well, I too sew with a glue gun. And also…I canNOT sew.

I LOVE these! They are fabulous you know!

I’m checking out your link now…I want you to win!

I love stich witchery! :) I am trying to find some fabric so I can make some curtains for my dining room as well. Those are beautiful, love the pattern! Good Luck in the competition!!!

Those look fantastic Vivienne and I am so jealous that you have such a great spot for finding discount fabrics. I gotta tell you…I’m pretty sure after seeing this I will think twice before lugging my sewing machine out next time! Thanks so much for the great tutorial and for linking this up to Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

These are wonderful, they look so professional, big bucks could easily have been spent on them!

Best of luck in the comp, I’m sure you will do fantastically well.

Where is this store? Does it have a website? What’s it called? I’ve been wanting to make curtains for a long time, but it’s more expensive to make them than buy them!

K, I’m going to do like you from now on. I just attempted to make a shirred summer dress this afternoon and BOTCHED it big time….wish hot glue would work for that project too!! Thanks for linking up to Marvelously Messy….be sure to stop in next Monday for another party!!

“I sew with my glue gun” hahah LOVE it! OK, so I keep clicking on your projects at linky parties, so I might as well follow you now!

lovely, well done.

however, what im really interested in are your rods to hand the drapes on….they are only short and are not meant to cross the expanse, yes?

can you tell me about them?