Personalized Dishes – How to bring a casserole to a potluck… and not lose your pyrex.

I love to cook.
I’m happy to bring something (or a couple of somethings) to a potluck.
I am not happy when I don’t get my Pyrex back again…

There is no such thing as Dish Karma. If you lose one, another doesn’t show up as a random act of dish replacement. The Land of Lost Pyrex is right down the street from The Land of Single Socks.

I’m sure this is a no brainer for many people out there, but the best and easiest way to get your dish back is to mark your name on it.
Permanently.
Etched into the glass.

personalized pyrex dish

Glass etching cream can be purchased in any craft store.
First, you’ll need to make or use a stencil. (** Note, if you don’t have a Cricut or a stencil, I’ll show you how to do this without one at the end of this post.**)

Take your Cricut and set it to FLIP. You are going to want your letters to print backwards.

Take a sheet of contact paper and spell your name backwards. You are basically making a mirror image of your name.

Peel the letters off so that you are left with your stencil.

Take the stencil and center it on the bottom of your pyrex dish. When you flip it over, you should be able to read your name just fine.

Flip it back over and apply a thick layer of the glass etching cream.

Let it sit about 10 minutes or so.

Peel off the stencil and wash off the etching cream.

When it’s done, it should look like this.

Since it is on the bottom of the pan, you never have to worry about food getting stuck in there or anything like that.
Never lose another casserole/baking dish.

**Now, no Cricut or stencil? No worries.**

Hand write your name with a dark marker. Tape the paper into the dish you want to etch.

When you flip the dish upside down, you’ll see the outline of the name, backwards.

Using the backward letters as your guide, just free hand the etching cream onto the bottom of the dish. Let it sit, then wash it off.

You may find that the letters are etched a bit unevenly. No worries.

Dry the dish and brush on a little bit more of the cream in the areas you think you need it.

Viola! Not perfect, but it will help you to keep your dishes.

If you’re realllllly ambitious (which I’m not) you could make a stencil of a favorite recipe and etch it into the bottom of a dish. If you were ambitious. (But then again, that’s why there are recipe cards.)

Comments

OMGosh girlfriend!!! I have a Post sitting in “Draft” where I used this Etching cream!!! Im having a LOVE AFFAIR with this stuff…And that is NOT good because that stuff is EXPENSIVE!!! I LOVE your idea here, the use of it…mine is different…I LOVE THIS!!! SO DOING!

I NEED one of those Printer thingys too! I see everyone using them and I LOVE it! Are they SUPER EXPENSIVE???

love it pretty girl!

xoxokara

I just LOVE etching cream. I want to etch everything..lol I have a few pyrex dishes I am definitely going to mark my dishes with my ‘brand’ Nice job!

Very cool, I didn’t know such stuff existed.

You are too smart to be my friend and you leave me wondering what it is that I bring to the friendship table that makes you want to stick around…it has got to be my stunning beauty!

I love it! I have seen this a lot (here in Mormonville, we are experts at labeling potluck dishes!), but I have never done it. I love your tip on how to do it without a stencil too! I never would have thought of that! I might do it that way, just because I’m too lazy to use a cricut!

I finally noticed you FB page too. I “liked” it from my own Facebook and my Blog’s Facebook pages. I don’t know if they will show up separately though.

Hi Viv, I have the honor of being your “linky neighbor” over at Coastal Charm, thank you for the awesome tip. I have used address labels in the past, sticking them to the bottom of a bowl etc. This is a marvy idea, have a wonderful week, xoxo tami

That is beautiful! I’d like that just for decoration.

Here’s how I make sure to keep all MY pyrex bakeware – – – I take MY casseroles to the potluck in a DISPOSABLE TINFOIL PAN!!!

:-)

Not very pretty – – – but very effective.

I’m so excited I’m gonna pee my pants. I’VE DONE THIS!!! woo to the hoo.

But, now I just take food in those disposable foil pans from the grocery store. Then I don’t have to remember, and neither do they.

loves ya.

Wow. I really love this! I would like to invite you to post this at my link party Masterpiece Monday, at my blog, Boogieboard Cottage. Have a great week! Mary :O)

well this is genius and it looks FAB!!!

my sister and i are forever swapping tupperware containers when we get together. but we trust each other to get them back, or we know we can yell at each other if we don’t!

Brilliant!! This may be something I can do – maybe!

And momma- you are moving into the land of famousdom!! Featured on many blogs ad look at all the comments!

Woo-Whee!

~Becca

FABULOUS idea!! I remember using that glass etching stuff in art class…never would have thought of that…that’s why I have you!

Everytime I see your last name it makes me think of my town…Wagoner…just add an “O”.

What a great idea! I also did this on the glass plates found at the dollar store and labeled a plate for each family member for Thanksgiving. After dinner we loaded up the plates with leftovers and everyone took them home!

I love this idea! I have used the etching cream years ago (for my wedding actually) on some champagne flutes and also Christmas ornaments. Going to give this one a go since my SIL loves to “steal” my containers!

This is such a great idea! Thanks for including that idea for us non-cricut people! :) Thanks for linking up to Thrifty Thursday….you have such wonderful projects!

LOVE this idea, and I think it is so great that you included an option for readers who don’t own a Cricut or a Silhouette! I have an etched glass pie plate, but I’m not crazy about the design. I think I need to save up for some etching cream—cause it’s expensive. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks so much for joining my Crafty Cutter party. :) Have fun finding some crafty inspiration, and I hope you’ll visit me at Serenity Now again soon. :) I have a new Silhouette project up today! :)

What a great idea! I have a pie plate that recently disappeared into never never land and this would definitely have helped! Thanks so much for linking this up to Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

you.are.brilliant….why did i never think of this myself? thanks so much for sharing this idea on fridays unfolded…off to buy some etching medium…

blessings,

alison
    stuff and nonsense

Dang girl how do you manage to come up with such great stuff and make it into the first slot at the party each week? LOL. This is awesome! I’m pretty sure I’ll be etching all my glassware now lol. Thanks for linking up Viv, you’re the best!

I did this for my daughter jamie a couple of years ago for Christmas, I sort of hinted to her before hand and she asked me to put “jamie” not our last name… I guess she knew she’d be getting married soon and didn’t want her maiden name on it. lol
    great job!